Simple Joys

A Lifestyle Blog

3.11.2013

A Remedy for Dry, Rough Skin

I have always gotten compliments about my skin, but I have also always noticed the flaws in it. The last few months stress has taken over and my face is terribly broken out. I also have those little white bumps (the medically correct name for it is keratosis pilaris) on the backs of my upper arms as well as my upper outer thighs and my skin is super dry. I can't stand it! I have tried all kinds of soaps, lotions, and creams to get rid of it and nothing seems to work.

Recently, I have been talking about getting a spray tan. When getting one they recommend you exfoliate before coming in. I started looking at the stores for scrubs to use, but I am cheap and I didn't want to buy something I wouldn't like. So I took to the trusty ol' Google for recipes to make your own. There are multiple recipes out there. I decided on a sugar and olive oil scrub. It was easy to make and I had everything in my pantry. :)

When I went to make my scrub I looked at the coconut oil and decided to use it instead. If you have been on Pinterest at all, there are tons of pins about how good coconut oil is for you, so I figured it couldn't hurt to switch oils and make the scrub with it instead.

I have to say, THIS IS THE BEST SCRUB EVER!! My skin is so smooth, feels completely moisturized and those little white bumps on my arms and legs have almost completely disappeared! I used it everyday for a week and am now using it twice a week. This is the perfect scrub to get your skin glowing for summer! It is AMAZING!

You should definitely try out this recipe! You won't regret it! And its great for gifts!

Coconut Oil Sugar Body Scrub


 photo 440527c7-08a2-446f-9b14-6bf23715240f.jpg
  • 1 cup coconut oil
  • 2 cups sugar
  • A few drops of your favorite essential oil (I used lavender) or you could use a couple of tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice (optional)
  • Jar or air tight container for storage

In a bowl, measure out the sugar. Measure out coconut oil, if it is too solid to work with stick it in the microwave to soften it up a bit. I didn't melt it, because I didn't want it to be so hot that it would melt the sugar. Add your choice of scent and mix well.

 photo 81241d02-6dd7-47a7-8536-93b3411adaec.jpg

Spoon into jar or container and let sit over night, the coconut oil will solidify. Store in a cool dry place.

 photo fea2608a-5764-48a3-acc5-26d297032aae.jpg


Tips:
-Scrubs work better on dry skin.
-If you have sensitive skin, try using brown sugar instead of white.
-This scrub will work the same even if you don't add a scent.
-Safe for use on face. (I love the way it makes my face feel.)
-Great gift giving idea! Tie a pretty ribbon and add a cute label and you have a great low cost gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments and enjoy reading them! Please be courteous of this blog and others when leaving a comment. Thanks!