Simple Joys

A Lifestyle Blog

10.23.2014

Recipe: Spaghetti Squash Lasagna

I don't love to cook. That's no secret. Since starting over on my journey to get healthy, I have been trying out some new healthier option recipes. This one caught my eye because my family loves spaghetti, lasagna and pasta. There was a time that having spaghetti in our house became the "old faithful" meal.

The problem? It was usually served with garlic cheese bread and maybe a side veggie. Most of the time it was just a carb overload that threw you into a food coma. I've always eaten to the point of being lethargic. It was a habit and what I thought was normal. Not so much. 

Through this journey I am learning to eat more nutritional foods that satisfy my body without making me lethargic. I want to show you that you too, can eat healthy foods that taste good and leave you fulfilled and satisfied.

My kids gobbled this dish up! It was definitely a hit for us and has been put on menu rotation. Check out the recipe below and let me know if it was a hit or miss in your healthy kitchen! 
Spaghetti Squash Lasagna

Ingredients:
1 spaghetti squash
1lb ground turkey
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, plus extra for topping
2 tbs fresh basil, chopped
2 cups pasta sauce 
Olive oil
Salt and pepper

Directions: 
Heat oven to 425°. 

Slice spaghetti squash length wise and seed. Brush both halves with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Put squash in baking dish with about 1 inch of water and bake in oven for about 45 minutes or until you can scrape squash into "spaghetti". 

While spaghetti squash is cooking, cook meat and add sauce, simmer. 

In a separate bowl, mix ricotta and mozzarella cheeses with basil. Set aside. 

Once the squash is cooked shred into "spaghetti" into a separate bowl. 

Layer spaghetti squash, meat sauce and cheese mixture back into the hollowed squash ending with meat sauce on top. Add extra mozzarella cheese and put back in oven until melted. About 10 minutes. Take out and let sit 5-10 minutes. Enjoy! 

This recipe makes a lot! One half was plenty to feed our family of 4 a couple of times. I wrapped one squash half in foil and froze it for a another meal! (I had no issues freezing this and didn't taste any different and quality wasn't compromised.) 

Serving suggestions: Mix up a big salad with assorted greens and some of your favorite veggies as a side. Sauté fresh green beans with mushrooms and onions as another side option. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments and enjoy reading them! Please be courteous of this blog and others when leaving a comment. Thanks!